We had Thanksgiving at my fiance's house. S's brother J and his wife Mg came with their two boys and brand new baby girl. This was my first Thanksgiving away from momster, and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for the first time! Of course, S helped me cook. We had turkey and ham, stuffing with cranberries, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, candied yams and dinner rolls. S's sister R came too, and brought scalloped corn, baked beans, pea salad and deviled eggs. So we had a feast!
Thanksgiving dinner turned out to be a lot easier than I thought! In momster's house, Thanksgiving was a one woman show. My mom did all the cooking. I may have been called upon to make a dessert of some type, but mostly my job was clean up girl and setting the table. And invariably, there was always something done wrong enough to give mom and excuse to yell at me. If not me, she'd be yelling at my dad about something. And the only time that she asked for any help fixing the meal is when the turkey was ready to come out of the oven. But then she would ask my brother to help, not me. I was always made to feel like I was incompetent.
I can't say this year's Thanksgiving dinner went off without a hitch, though. The rolls got a little burnt on the bottom. But people tore off the bottoms and ate them anyway. Also, I had a little mishap with the candied yams. They were the last thing to come out of the oven. And since the oven and countertop was full with dishes of food already, I was looking for a place to put the candied yams. The dish was burning me through the oven mits, so I hurriedly placed them on the counter beside the sink. In doing so, some of the syrup dripped onto the floor. Underneath my feet was my dog. He got some on his back and went yelping through the house. I grabbed him and poured cold water on his back. S was worried he would shake and get the surrounding food wet. So R took him to the bathroom. He was okay. J helped me clean up the floor. Such an incident would have thrown my momster into a seething rage, and I would have been made to feel like a horrible excuse for a human being.
But anyway, we had a very nice visit with J and Mg and the kids. We played a lot of video games and board games. I got to enjoy the new baby. Mg stated that this was the most relaxing Thanksgiving she's ever had. It was for me too.
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment